Saturday, January 14, 2017

Star Wars: Republic "Venator" Star Destroyer

First post in 5 years!  I blame the good folks at Starship Modeler. If any people can pull me out of my "shell", it's that community. Gotta love 'em!

I didn't pick this one up upon initial release, so I was pleased when, instead of paying $120 or more on eBay, I was able to pick up the re-release at a much more reasonable price.  Though I initially planned on a straight-out-of-the-box build, I succumbed to the urge to detail the kit, and purchased an engine insert kit via Shapeways and two sets of ARC-170 fighters and LAATs, both from Odyssey Slipways via Starship Modeler.  I was seriously tempted to illuminate the kit as well, but had to draw the line somewhere.

Engine Inserts
1/2256 Fighters and Accessories

These decisions increased the time to build and the overall cost to build, but I'm quite pleased with the results thus far.  To be honest, the worst part was carving off the dorsal hangar doors.  I had to be very careful, use various razor saws, and make sure not to destroy any of the surface detail.  Here are a few in-progress shots.






There was a LOT of educated guessing in regards to alignment, size, and overall layout.  To get better views of the hangar deck, I had to buy the "Clone Wars" on BluRay. (actually, I didn't need to, but just wanted to).  I was able to find enough basic information online to get a final product I was pleased with.

It looks like someone is making a fair number of 3D printed improvements for the kit, at Shapeways, but for me, it's too late. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment